Healthy, plant-based, gluten-free, and easy to make – this festive Indian dessert is truly a crowd-pleaser, loved by all ages.
Besan Jaggery Ladoo, low fat and healthy, made without sugar, oil or milk.
Yes, it is totally a guilt-free sweet which can be enjoyed without worrying about those extra calories.
What Is Chickpea Flour?
Wondering What Is Chickpea Flour?
Besan, also known as Indian Gram flour is made from dried chickpeas, by powdering them. It is widely used in Indian cuisines, particularly in the making of snacks like Pakodas and sandwiches.
The chickpea flour can also be used instead of wheat flour in some sauces and gravies as it blends well and imparts a nutty flavour to the dish and hence it is a great substitute for other gluten-containing grains. This versatile product has many health benefits and is the main ingredients in many of the skin lightening home remedies. It is used to exfoliate and cleanse the skin. It is also used as a hair pack. It helps in losing weight and control Diabetes.
Is Besan Good For Health?
Gram flour or Besan is a highly nutritious ingredient which has plenty of health benefits. It has a good amount of protein content which can be helpful in contributing to the protein requirements of vegetarians. Besan has lesser calories than whole wheat flour. It is nutritionally dense and hence it promotes weight loss as it contains lower levels of fat as compared to their non-vegetarian protein counterparts.
It has a high amount of minerals such as iron, potassium, manganese, copper, zinc, phosphorus, magnesium as well as vitamin B-6 and thiamine. Besan contains healthy unsaturated fats which help to lower the cholesterol level. Due to its low glycemic index, Laddus made from Besan is safe for diabetics.
Below are some of the important reasons why Besan can be so good for your body:
• Helps lower the glycaemic index.
• Has a very high protein content.
• It is gluten-free.
• High in nutritive values.
• Helps with weight loss.
• It helps in controlling diabetes.
• Helps with heart health too.
• A high amount of soluble fiber and folates.
Besan Jaggery Ladoo
The colour of this ladoo depends on the type of jaggery you use. The syrup consistency is very important here. If you skip the required consistency, then you may end up with Hard Ladoo, though that will be also enjoyable. Here we need only sticky consistency. No issues even if you use syrup of one string consistency. But make sure to not burn the flour while roasting.
• Gram Flour/besan 2 cups
• Jaggery Powder 1 cup
• Crushed almonds and walnuts
• 1/4th tsp of cardamom powder
• Organic Ghee 3 tablespoons
• In a non-stick pan, add ghee on a medium flame and roast the besan flour on a low heat flame till you get the nice aroma. Do not burn.
• Reduce the heat to low and add jaggery powder, mix and let it melt completely.
• Turn off the flame, transfer the mixture to a plate, and let the heat come down for 5 minutes.
• Roast crushed walnuts and almonds and mix this powder with cardamom powder to make balls to form laddoos.
• As the mixture is still warm, grease your palm with little ghee and shape the ladoo. Let it cool down completely at room temperature.
• Serve or store the ladoo in an airtight container at room temperature.
Also check out our gluten-free , protein-rich fox nut pudding !
By Priyanshi Bhatnagar