Unfortunately, when it comes to diet, most people are on autopilot, following a disease-making Western Diet that is high in acidic foods and low in alkaline foods.
The Western Diet increases inflammation and cholesterol. It also causes and contributes to the development of heart disease, dementia, osteoporosis, cancer, high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes and autoimmune diseases.
One way diet affects your health is through a process called “acid-alkaline balance.”
The human body is designed to be alkaline and it functions properly in this state.
What are Alkaline Foods
Alkaline-forming foods are considered to be ”superfoods” not just for their ability to help our body maintain a healthy pH balance, but also due to their nutrient density.
The most alkaline-forming foods are often plant-based and have been shown to have a multitude of healing properties.
What is The Alkaline diet a.k.a The Alkaline ash diet
Alkaline ash refers to eating food that supports bone and whole-body health by creating an ideal pH balance within the body. The alkalizing precursors allow the bones to fulfil their metabolic functions without depleting themselves.
In reality, the Alkaline Ash Diet is the same eating pattern that supports the prevention of heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, and degenerative diseases. It is a diet rich in alkalizing minerals and health-supporting plant compounds.
Here is a list of some of our favourite alkalizing foods, all of which are delicious and versatile or try our Green Smoothie That May Boost Life Expectancy that is thoughtfully crafted with alkalizing farm fresh super greens and wholesome fruits and veggies with over 12 cleansing ingredients for the healthy elimination of toxins for pH balance and detox!
- Lemons are extremely high in alkaline minerals, such as potassium, and magnesium that have alkalizing effects on the body.
- They are excellent for healthy detox, assisting with digestion, and support the liver in eliminating toxins from the body.
- The citric acid in them is highly acidic in a natural state, but once consumed, the citric acid gets metabolized and has a wonderful alkaline effect on the body.
- Lemons are a good source of calcium, iron and vitamins A, C and B-complex, as well as pectin fibre, and carbohydrates. They also contain potent antibacterial, antiviral and immune-boosting powers.
- Apart from having a cleansing and detoxifying effect on the body, lemons help improve digestion, aid weight loss, support skin health, boost immunity, fight cancer, control high blood pressure, prevent infections and lots more.
- Enjoying a glass of lemon water every morning is a fantastic habit to work into your routine that will help you feel great throughout the day.
- Cucumbers are another healthy addition to an alkaline diet. They can quickly neutralize acids and aid digestion.
- The nutritional profile of cucumbers is very impressive. They are an excellent source of vitamins K, C and different B vitamins. You also get a good amount of copper, amino acids, carbohydrates, soluble and insoluble fibre, potassium, manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, biotin and silica.
- Plus, cucumbers are low in calories. They also have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Including cucumbers in your diet can help reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, improve digestion, lower blood sugar levels and fight different types of cancer including breast, uterine, ovarian and prostate cancers. Being high in water content, they also keep the body hydrated.
- Celery is another very alkaline food you should eat! It can neutralize acids and balance the pH level of your body.
- It is also a great diuretic, meaning it helps get rid of excess fluid in the body. Plus, being very high in water content, it helps hydrate and nourish the cells in your body.
- Celery also contains vitamins A, C, K and some B vitamins, as well as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, folate, potassium and fibre. Plus, it is low in calories, carbohydrates, fat and cholesterol.
- This simple green stalk helps lower cholesterol, inhibits several cancers, supports the immune system, fights inflammation, supports cardiovascular health, aids weight loss and lots more.
- Aside from being alkalizing, celery has additional cleansing properties. Since it’s mostly water, celery can easily help the body flush toxins.
- Celery is also a “negative calorie” food, which means it takes more calories to chew and digest than the total amount of calories it contains.
- Avocado is a powerhouse of both nutrients and deliciousness. Avocado contains a ton of healthy fats in addition to being alkalizing, anti-inflammatory and heart-healthy.
- Avocados are one of the foods you should eat every day. They help flush out acidic waste and promote a more alkaline environment in the body. This creamy, green fruit is packed full of nutrients.
- Avocados contain dietary fibre, folate, potassium, selenium, and a good amount of healthy fat, along with vitamins K, C, B5 and A. They also contain powerful antioxidants, such as alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, lutein, and more.
- Adding avocados to your diet will help aid weight loss, fight inflammation, improve your heart health, boost cardiovascular health, fight cancer and provide blood sugar benefits.
- Spinach, one of the healthiest leafy greens, is highly alkaline in nature. It is very rich in chlorophyll, which acts as an alkalizing agent and brings your body back to the optimal 7.4 range.
- Spinach is a good source of vitamins A, B2, C, E and K. It is also loaded with minerals that provide the body with amazing alkaline effects, such as manganese, magnesium, iron, potassium, calcium and folate. Plus, it is loaded with dietary fibre, flavonoids and carotenoids.
- By eating spinach, you can boost muscle strength, fight anaemia, improve heart health, prevent premature ageing, reduce your risk of cancer and enjoy healthy skin.
- Most leafy green vegetables are alkaline-forming in the body, but spinach is one of our favourites because it’s so versatile. Even those who don’t love greens will often enjoy spinach because of its mild flavour.
- Spinach is rich in chlorophyll, vitamin K, vitamin A and so many more… it would take us all day to list them all!
- A true miracle food, garlic is another alkaline food that encourages overall good health. The main compound in garlic is allicin, which has antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and antioxidant properties.
- Also, garlic has nutrients including vitamins B1, B6 and C, as well as manganese, calcium, copper, selenium and many others. Garlic aids detoxification by increasing production of glutathione that helps filter toxins from the digestive system.
- This alkaline-forming food offers many other health benefits, too. It promotes cardiovascular health, boosts immune health, lowers blood pressure, supports liver functioning, cleanses the liver, reduces inflammation and fights off cancer, to name a few.
- Garlic is an anti-inflammatory superfood that rates very high on the alkaline scale.
- Kale is another alkaline food that you should definitely include in your diet. Kale can balance the acid and alkalize the body. This leafy green vegetable is packed with rich vitamins, such as vitamins A, C and K.
- It also has nutrients like magnesium, calcium, manganese, copper, potassium, iron, phosphorus and protein. Plus, it offers antioxidant benefits.
- The fibre and sulfur in kale support the body’s natural detoxification process so that your body can get rid of harmful toxins. It can even lower bad cholesterol, reduce your risk of cancer, improve heart health, aid weight loss, boost immunity and lots more.
There’s a reason kale has been labelled as the new beef.
- It’s high in plant iron, calcium and vitamin K, which is said to help protect against many types of cancers.
- Kale has a mild taste that can jazz up any recipe. You can easily add kale to any smoothie recipe that calls for greens, stir-fries, salads and soups for a (delicious) alkaline boost.
- Broccoli is one of the top alkaline cruciferous vegetables that you should include in your diet.
- The phytochemicals in broccoli help alkalize the body, increase estrogen metabolism and reduce the symptoms of estrogen dominance. This tasty vegetable is also packed with a variety of vitamins, such as C, K and A.
- It also has fibre, manganese, potassium, iron, folate and protein. Moreover, it has amazing anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Apart from alkalizing and detoxifying the body, broccoli helps fight cancer, improves digestion, boosts the cardiovascular system, improves immunity, supports skin health, boosts metabolism and lots more.
- Be it red, green or yellow, bell peppers are highly alkaline in nature.
- They help transform acidic foods, raising the body’s overall alkaline level. Bell peppers also contain vitamins C, A, B6, E and K, along with potassium, manganese, copper, dietary fibre, folate, iron and several flavonoids that provide powerful antioxidant properties.
- When eaten regularly, bell peppers help boost immunity, lower hypertension, support eyesight, and increase the body’s metabolic rate. They also help decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease, Type 2 diabetes, cancer, inflammation and more.
- Another highly alkaline food that people are not aware of is wheatgrass. It’s a very strong source of alkalinity as well as several nutrients for the body. It is a rich source of chlorophyll, amino acids and vitamins, such as A, B-complex, C, D and E.
- It also contains magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, copper, selenium, thiamine and natural enzymes. Wheatgrass helps in the process of detoxification. It also revitalizes your liver and protects it from environmental pollutants.
- In addition, it boosts energy levels, improves immunity, aids weight loss, regulates blood sugar levels, improves heart health and fights cancer, to name a few.
- Tomatoes are most alkaline when they are uncooked, but contain many nutrients, both raw and uncooked.
- They are a great source of vitamin C, digestive enzymes, and a good source of vitamin B6, which is often difficult to find!
- Eat sliced tomatoes as a snack with a bit of pink sea salt or mix into your favourite salad or omelette.
- Bananas, aka “Potassium Sticks,” are another highly alkaline food that you won’t want to leave out of your diet. Bananas are also a great source of fibre, which help promote digestive regularity and sweep toxins out of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract.
- While most people tend to avoid bananas to prevent weight gain due to their high sugar content, eating a banana is far better for you than eating a granola bar or some other processed food that’s packed full of sugar and acidifying ingredients.
- One of the most delicious ways to include bananas in your diet is by making banana “nice cream,” which is simply just frozen bananas blended into a creamy consistency.
- The best part about banana nice cream is that you can jazz it up with other alkaline ingredients, such as fresh mint leaves and berries.
- Kiwi is a high-alkaline food your cells won’t want to miss out on because it also contains a plethora of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
- And although oranges are famous for their vitamin C content, kiwi contains nearly five times the amount of vitamin C than an orange.
- Kiwi is also a great source of fiber for improved digestion, as well as potassium for muscle function.
- Cauliflower is an alkaline food that can also aid in hormone rebalancing when the body’s estrogen levels are too high.
- This is because cauliflower contains a nutrient called Indole-3-Carbinol (or I3C) that helps the body regulate estrogen levels. We come into contact with estrogen on a daily basis through estrogenic foods (such as soy), chemicals in our environment (such as plastics) and pharmaceuticals drugs (such as oral contraceptives).
- High levels of estrogen are harmful to the body and can lead to weight gain, digestive symptoms such as bloating, as well as reproductive cancers and infertility.
- Apples have a reputation as one of the healthiest foods in the world, mostly because they’re so rich in detoxifying fiber and antioxidants such as vitamin C and flavonoids that protect against cancer.
- All of these nutrients are also essential for promoting healthy blood pressure and cholesterol. To get even greater health benefits from apples, I recommend adding apple cider vinegar to your diet each day.
- When fermented to make vinegar, apples contain a nutrient called acetic acid, which offers antibacterial and antiviral benefits.
- If you don’t like the taste of apple cider vinegar on its own or diluted with water, that’s okay. There are several ways to make apple cider vinegar taste so amazing, you won’t even notice the slightly sour taste.
By Priyanshi Bhatnagar