Got mangos? We’ve got recipes!
The king of fruits – mangoes are in season again. In India, The mango period lasts from mid-march to may end.
There are many varieties of mangoes available in India Like Kesar, Badami, dasheri, langda, safeda, totapuri, chausa, Neelam, Alphonso (hapus) etc. Everyone has a favourite variety of mango.
The sweet taste of mangoes underlined with a subtle tang has created many fans across the globe. But, we tend to overlook how amazingly healthy mangoes also are.
Mangos are packed with nutrients! Each time you eat these mango recipes, you get the following benefits:
• Low-calorie food. One mango has 100 calories.
• Very high in vitamin C: One mango provides 100% of your daily vitamin C needs!
• Good source of vitamin A and fiber.
Here are 4 amazing reasons to eat more mangoes this season:
1. Lowers Cholesterol: Mangoes contain fiber, pectin and vitamin C which help in lowering the bad cholesterol. It also contains potassium which helps in controlling blood pressure and maintaining the heart rate.
2. Remedy for skin problems: Mangoes are a great source of beta-carotene which helps in promoting healthy and glowing skin. Beta-carotene gets converted into Vitamin A in our body which protects the cells from damage. Vitamin A also helps in improving eyesight. Mango pulp is rich in vitamin c, which can be applied to the face to make it soft and supple.
3. Aides indigestion: Mangoes are rich in fiber which makes digestion easy. They also contain certain enzymes that help in breaking down the protein, ease-up the assimilation of food and elimination of waste from the body. Amchoor or dry mango powder also acts as a digestive aid.
4. Protects against heat strokes: Mangoes can protect you against heat strokes. Drinks like Aam Panna or mango lassi hydrate your body and eradicate the feeling of dryness. According to Ayurveda, mangoes energize the entire system and regulate blood flow.
7 Sweet and Savory Mango Recipes You Can Make Year-Round
1.Corn and Raw Mango Salad
This healthy and hearty salad can cheer you up instantly. A crunchy, refreshing salad to pack for a mid-day meal.
Corn kernels or corn on the cob, Onions, Spring onions, Red bell pepper, Raw mango (diced), Celery stalk (diced), Cherry tomatoes, Pineapple (diced), Parsley, Cilantro leaves, Basil leaves, Black olives, Lemon juice, Olive oil, Black salt, White pepper powder, taco shells.
1. Blanch the corn in boiling salted water until tender but not overcooked.
2. Drain set aside and chill.
3. Dice the onions, spring onions, red bell peppers, raw mango, pineapple, avocado and celery to almost the same size as the corn.
4. Cut the cherry tomatoes into half and add the parsley, cilantro and basil to the vegetables.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Add the lemon juice, olive oil and mix well.
7. Fill into taco shells for presentation or in a bowl.
2.Mango Lassi Cream
This stunning dessert made with fresh mangoes, yogurt and honey are low on calories and worth every bite. All your mango filled dessert cravings end right here!
Yogurt, 2 Mangoes, 1 TBSP Honey ( or stevia drop )
1. Churn together yogurt, chopped mangoes and honey in a blender.
2. Pour it in silicon moulds
3. Deep freeze it for at least four hours.
3.Griddled Banana, Mango, and Jalapeño Sandwiches
For a killer brunch, serve with an over-easy egg.
Olive oil (or substitute flaxseed oil), multigrain bread, peanut butter, natural, banana (ripe, smashed), mango (very ripe),jalapeño pepper, feta cheese, kosher salt, powdered stevia, ground red pepper
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat
2. Brush oil on 1 side of each bread slice. This will be the pan-contact side. Layout bread slices, oil side down, on foil or parchment paper (as a work surface)
3. Spread 1 tablespoon peanut butter evenly onto each of 2 bread slices. Evenly distribute banana over the peanut buttered bread. Shingle mango evenly over banana. Scatter jalapeño over mango. Sprinkle evenly with cheese and salt. Close the sandwiches. Press gently to adhere to all the ingredients.
4. Griddle the sandwiches for 4 to 6 minutes on each side, pressing gently to ensure that all the surface area of the bread is in contact with the pan. Be patient, and let it cook without peeking (you’ll get a more even toast that way).
5. Combine powdered stevia and red pepper. Cut sandwiches in half, and dust with powdered stevia mixture.
4. Mango Iced Tea
Mango iced tea is a refreshing summer tea with flavours of mangoes and tea.
Alphonso mangoes, black tea or 2-3 black tea bags water, lemon juice or as required
Natural stevia sugar, mint leaves for garnishing
1. Peel and chop the mangoes. Puree them in a blender and refrigerate.
2. Heat water on a stovetop or in the microwave.
3. Remove the pan of hot water.
4. Add the black tea and stir.
5. Cover and let the tea steep in the hot water for 5-7 mins.
6. Strain and keep the tea in the fridge.
7. Once the tea is cooled, remove it from the fridge.
8. Pour the tea into a blender.
9. Add the mango puree, lemon juice and sugar to the tea.
10. Blend everything till smooth.
11. Serve the mango iced tea in tall glasses with some ice cubes garnished with mint leaves or mango or lemon slices.
5.Grilled Teriyaki Mango Skewers
These grilled teriyaki mango skewers feature fresh mangos and a teriyaki sauce to make a sweet and savoury summer grilling recipe.
Teriyaki sauce, mangos, red pepper, yellow pepper, zucchini, red onion
1. Preheat a grill to medium heat. If using wooden skewers, soak the skewers for at least 30 minutes while preparing the recipe.
2. For the skewers: Cut the mango into large cubes (larger than a dice) so that threads onto the skewers. Chop the red pepper, yellow pepper, zucchini, and red onion into large pieces (you can cut the onion in wedges and use a few layers when threading).
3. Thread the veggies and mangos onto skewers.
4. Place the skewers on a tray and brush them with the glaze on one side. Place the skewers on the grill, glazed side down, then brush the tops with the remaining glaze. Grill 6 to 10 minutes per side until tender and lightly charred.
5. When the skewers are finished, place over rice or quinoa and serve with any remaining teriyaki sauce if desired.
This mango raita is adapted from the book ‘Indian cookery’. I have changed the raita recipe, but only in a few aspects. I added stevia to the curd. It’s not essential but since I have a sweet tooth, I decided to add some sweetness.
Curd or yoghurt, stevia powder, ripe mangoes, diced, mustard seeds, 2 red chillies, fenugreek seeds (methi dana), ghee or oil, coriander leaves for garnish
1. In a bowl, take 2 cups of curd (or yogurt) and 2 tablespoon stevia sugar powder .
2. Mix with a wire whisk or with a spoon. Mix it till the sugar dissolves.
3. Then add the chopped mangoes. Gently stir the mangoes with the yogurt.
4. Tempering: Heat 1 tablespoon ghee or oil in a small frying pan. Add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai). Fry the mustard seeds till they crackle.
5. Add 2 dry red chillies and ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana). Fry them till dry red chillies change colour.
6. Pour this spiced tadka on the curd mixture. Stir and mix well.
7. Garnish the mango raita with coriander leaves.
8. Serve the mango raita chilled or at room temperature.
7. Mango banana papaya smoothie
An easy and tasty smoothie with the goodness of all three favourite tropical fruits in a glass.
Papaya, mangoes, bananas, ice cubes (optional)
1. Peel and chop the fruits
2. Liquidize or blend all in a blender.
3. Pour in glasses and serve mango banana papaya smoothie immediately.
4. Add ice cubes if required.
Make sure you try all these mango recipes this summer. Don’t just eat them raw, experiment and make most of the season of mango!
In all my recipes above I have used stevia sugar which is a natural and non-nutritive sweetener derived from the leaves of a herbal shrub native to South America. The stevia plant has been used for food and medicinal purposes for hundreds of years.
You can buy the same product from here.https://bit.ly/3xYj5aX
Available in powder form in Jars and Packets/sachets, in tablet form in flip-top boxes of 100s and liquid dropper bottles, Rite Stevia is the perfect companion for the health-conscious!
USE THE CODE TO AVAIL DISCOUNT
👉” PRIYANSHI2021 ”
Happy Summers! & Happy Cooking!